11.02.2011

Red Mountain B.C

One of the greater things in life, I must say is travelling the globe. I have been around, seen places, met people, made connections, made good friends, endured pain, laught alot, expirenced great things, and learned alot about myself. Travelling makes me feel alive and are one of many things that gives me the feeling of joy.

One of my big passions in life is skiing. I just love to put my gear on, hit the mountain and just shred the fresh powder.
A couple of years ago I went to Rossland, British Colombia  Canada, to do a season of downhill skiing.
The nearby mountain, Red mountain, (redresort.com) is not one of the largest resorts, but theres a large  freeriding area around it. Just a 20 minute hike and you can get runs you´ve always dreamed about.
Since the resort is quite small, and theres not any large citys nearby its not excactly crowded there either, so you can go on and on for days in  untouched  powder. But dont get me wrong, theres is enough people there to have good time and make som new friends.

The town, Rossland (www.rossland.com) is located  between Vancouver and Calgary almost down at border to the US.
Its an old town established for those who chased fortune in gold, actually Red mountain is full of  mines and mining sites.
Danger- Deep pits . Mining site
The town is a genuine and cosy little town, which is big enough to room everything you need for enjoying an entire season, like a couple of bars, cafès, restaurants, ski and snowboard shops and a supermarked. Check one of them out, Rossvegas. (http://www.rossvegasboardshop.com)
The neighbour community is called Trail, its a larger town you can go to if you feel theres something missing, e.g if you wanna go swimming, or see a movie at the theatre, or if you are so unfortunate that you need a hospital.

How to get here:? We flew in to Vancouver, rented a car at the airport, wich is quite affordable if you are 3 persons or more. There is also the possibility to go by bus, the Greyhound  (greyhound.com), this is the cheapest and slowest alternativ. A third possibility is to fly in to Castlegar wich is about 40 km from Rossland, from here you take a local bus or a taxi. Keep in mind that Castlegar is known as Cancelgar due to the many flights that are cancelled from here.

Our season we spent in Rossland has given me alot of great memories that makes happy when I think of it and I can  watch the pictures we took over and over again even though its over 3000 pics...
It was a season with alot of snow, good times and a lot of nice people and I really recommend you all to go here for the ultimate skibum experience!"

No comments:

Post a Comment